Thursday, April 28, 2011

Heaven Chapter 1

John 14:1-3


 1 "Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God[a]; believe also in me. 2 My Father's house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am."


So, it's been too long since I've written on here.  I'm ashamed at how much I've been slacking on getting in the Word everyday. . . And I have no excuses.


 I decided to pick a special spot to do my devotions.  I picked my roof.  It isn't very high, and it is so incredibly peaceful and beautiful.  I'm sitting there right now.  I think this will be my new writing spot as well, to give me some inspiration and a quiet place to think :).


I've also decided to go through the book "Heaven" by Randy Alcorn.  It is a HUGE book, and I've only read one chapter so far, but I already enjoy it. 


 The first chapter was titled, "Are you looking forward to Heaven?"  It talked about how people have misconceptions of Heaven.  Lot's of people have this idea that in heaven you will sit on a cloud and sing and play a harp for the rest of eternity.  Even some Christians believe that.  Where they got that from I don't know, because it sure doesn't say anything like that in the Bible.  


I also learned some interesting statistics.  


3 people die every second

180 every minute

and nearly 11,000 every hour


That means that more than 250,000 people every day go to either Heaven or Hell!


That just blew me away when I read that. 

There are so many opportunities that God has given me, that I've turned down.

Thinking, "Oh, I won't sit with that person with no friends.  Someone else will sit with them. . ." 


Or, "I really don't need to invite this person to church, because I know they will say no."


Stuff like that that I do is sinful.  I'm ignorant.



This next passage was in the book:


Psalm 39:4-5 


 4 "Show me, LORD, my life's end
   and the number of my days;
   let me know how fleeting my life is.
5 You have made my days a mere handbreadth;
   the span of my years is as nothing before You.
Everyone is but a breath,
   even those who seem secure."



It is humbling how David says that the span of my years is as nothing before God.  Everyone is but a breath. . .


And yet, God longs for us to have an intimate relationship with Him? Astounding.


-Mallory






1 comment:

  1. That's really cool. I guess i've never really thought about what heaven would be like... I guess i've just been afraid of God... Like... I can't imagine what I'll do when I see Him. And I guess i've thought about seeing people that have left this earthly place to be with God... Idk... It's really cool.

    ReplyDelete